Import failed

If you are having problems with QCAD, post here. Please report bugs through our Bug Tracker instead.

Always attach your original DXF or DWG file and mentions your QCAD version and the platform you are on.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

stw
Newbie Member

Import failed

Post by stw » Wed Dec 13, 2023 11:26 am

Hi,

I'm currently evaluating QCAD, but got blocked early with the following problem:

When I try to open a simple AutoCAD drawing I get the error message "import error: import failed" (Importfehler: Import fehlgeschlagen), without any further details why it failed.

I also tried saving in different formats:
DXF ACAD R12
DXF ACAD 2013
DWG ACAD 2018
but same behaviour for all of them.

Did I do something wrong or why can't the drawing be opened?

QCAD Professional Trial

Version:
3.28.2.0 (3.28.2)
Erstellungsdatum:
Aug 30 2023
Revision:
a8039fc
Qt Version:
Architektur:
x86_64
Compiler:
MSVC++ 14.0 (2015)

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.19045.3693]
Attachments
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (367.81 KiB) Viewed 4376 times
Drawing1-2013.dxf
(2.25 MiB) Downloaded 154 times
Drawing1-2018.dwg
(293.75 KiB) Downloaded 159 times
Drawing1.dxf
(114.29 KiB) Downloaded 153 times

andrew
Site Admin

Re: Import failed

Post by andrew » Wed Dec 13, 2023 11:31 am

I can open all three drawing files without any problems.

Most likey, Autocad has locked the files which means you cannot open them with another application simultaneously. Please close the files in Autocad or close Autocad completely and try again.

Note that the drawing uses "SUPERHATCH" entities which are currently not supported by QCAD.

CVH
Premier Member

Post by CVH » Wed Dec 13, 2023 11:37 am

Opening or Importing does not fail but I get several remarks:
> Unsupported XData type NOT imported: 1010
About 556 of them.

Hatch block = GEODE_TEST1 but these are not cropped to the circle ... Unsupported

CVH
Premier Member

Post by CVH » Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:50 pm

Fairly impossible to provide you in a functional Hatch pattern for QCAD.
- Filled areas or polylines with widths are not supported
- Arcs/Circles are represented by short line segments
- Tile size 1466.64744052 X 941.72375237 produce patterns that are not stable due to reduced accuracy of larger values
- At best cloning load of over 25k per tile exceeds QCAD capabilities and hatching will timeout.
... Over 25k endless patterned lines crossing each tile.

All depends on how accurate the hatch block content must be represented ... :wink:
Pattern included for a trial on ACAD. :roll:
GEODE_TEST1.pat
Updated, removed mistake
(38.79 KiB) Downloaded 150 times
Last edited by CVH on Wed Dec 13, 2023 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stw
Newbie Member

Post by stw » Wed Dec 13, 2023 1:25 pm

Thank You, indeed it was only AutoCAD blocking the files somehow. As a suggestion, maybe the error message could be changed to be more specific regarding the actual cause (file not accessible/locked).

I tried to use SUPERHATCH, WIPEOUT and XCLIP in AutoCAD, did I get that right that all these are not supported by QCAD?
Are there any alternative mechanisms supported for clipping or clipping-like behaviour?

Thank you, CVH, for the HATCH pattern approach. My simple drawing was just an example, dimensions will be smaller and short line segments can be avoided (i think).
I tried to load the file in AutoCAD, but I complains that the file is not valid (see attached screenshot).
Is there any workaround to use filled areas or line widths in hatch patterns or hatch-pattern-like?

Thanks again for your helpful responses!
Attachments
hatch-pattern-error.PNG
hatch-pattern-error.PNG (67.94 KiB) Viewed 4347 times

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Wed Dec 13, 2023 1:34 pm

stw wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2023 1:25 pm
I tried to use SUPERHATCH, WIPEOUT and XCLIP in AutoCAD, did I get that right that all these are not supported by QCAD?
Are there any alternative mechanisms supported for clipping or clipping-like behaviour?
Unfortunately, these are all not currently supported. What are you planning to do with clipping?
One way around this could be to draw a solid fill in the background color with a similar effect like a wipeout.

CVH
Premier Member

Post by CVH » Wed Dec 13, 2023 2:16 pm

stw wrote:
I tried to load the file in AutoCAD.
Concerning Error in pattern file
Right, it should not read:

Code: Select all

*GEODE_TEST1.pat, No brief description
Please edit the first line to read:

Code: Select all

*GEODE_TEST1, No brief description
My fault, I renamed the pattern name to reflect the Hatch Block name and then copy/paste that to the first line :oops:
Hatching a circle R=6000 takes about 7 seconds in QCAD.
Attached file was updated :wink:
stw wrote:
Is there any workaround to use filled areas or line widths in hatch patterns or hatch-pattern-like?
Probably, with a fine mesh of pattern segments, adding even more patterned lines to clone for each tile.
Fills are not handled but I could add the fine mesh before export.
Development of Tile2Hatch ceased because of QCAD lagging with complex patterns.
Last edited by CVH on Wed Dec 13, 2023 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stw
Newbie Member

Post by stw » Wed Dec 13, 2023 3:09 pm

The plan is to generate a DXF containing a fill pattern including filled circles (black or white) and use QCAD (server license) to render that into a PDF.
Unfortunately the traditional HATCH doesn't support custom line types, fills, different colors or line widths.
Thus the idea to use a clipping approach, like SUPERHATCH does.
Doing clipping calculations manually (and generate the whole pattern manually) is something I'd like to avoid as far as possible and isn't really an option.
Any ideas welcome! :-)

Thanks CVH for the updated pattern file - that one works. In ACAD hatching a circle of that size is finished nearly instantly. I've added a screenshot how it looks. Of course it's lacking the circle fills due to limitations of HATCH, but otherwise looks like the SUPERHATCH pattern. May I ask how you created the pattern file from the block?
Attachments
acad-pattern.PNG
acad-pattern.PNG (631.77 KiB) Viewed 4317 times

CVH
Premier Member

Post by CVH » Wed Dec 13, 2023 3:33 pm

stw wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2023 3:09 pm
Unfortunately the traditional HATCH doesn't support custom line types
Correction, a hatch is nothing more than endless lines with a custom line type pattern and then cropped.
For colors and weights one could superimpose different hatches, fills can be handled as a fine mesh.
It is not impossible when automated but maybe it is impractical for a common user.
For pdf export the proposal of Andrew with blocks and a wipeout would be less of a problem.
stw wrote:
May I ask how you created the pattern file from the block?
Mentioned above.
With a custom build tool called Tile2Hatch ... Unreleased, unfinished and you already need to know how to use it properly, what to avoid, ...
Exported data is as robust as can be ... That is until one starts editing the export of course. :lol:
Hatching areas far away from the hatch origin will always loose coherency, it can be stretched up to a point with special techniques.
Already far better when disregarding the 80 character count rule per definition line.
stw wrote:
In ACAD hatching a circle of that size is finished nearly instantly.
Yep, probably using a better equipped hatching engine, would know how but is there someone that want to listen?
Still, coherency in ACAD will tend to fail one magnitude further than in QCAD for odd angles ... AKA 'High cloning load'.
There is an end on how accurate floating point values can be with large integer parts for representing fine details.
Good practice is keeping your hatch origin close to the area in question.

Return to “QCAD Troubleshooting and Problems”