QCAD application window not opening

If you are having problems with QCAD, post here. Please report bugs through our Bug Tracker instead.

Always attach your original DXF or DWG file and mentions your QCAD version and the platform you are on.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

bowl
Newbie Member

QCAD application window not opening

Post by bowl » Wed Jan 03, 2024 10:30 am

Hi,

QCAD used to run smoothly, however when I wanted to start the program today, the window suddenly would not open anymore. The process is starting and seems running and active, but when no window is popping up on the screen.
I have restarted the machine several times and uninstalled + reinstalled the program twice, which did not help.

The program is installed globally under program files.
Weirdly enough I just logged into my second user on this same laptop and it is working from there.

Grateful for any advice!

Thanks!

bowl
Newbie Member

Re: QCAD application window not opening

Post by bowl » Wed Jan 03, 2024 10:37 am

Guys,

I figured it out. Sorry for the quick post.

Maybe this helps someone in the future:
with the realization that the issue was persistent to re-installation but user specific i dug into my user folder and under user->AppData->Roaming->QCAD i deleted the file with the user settings (presumably this file was not removed when un-installing either). This fixed the issue. The program opened normally and i had to adjust my personal settings again, so no biggie, just hoping this doesn't happen frequently :)

To the experts? Is this a known / common issue?

Thanks to all!
Peace

CVH
Premier Member

Post by CVH » Wed Jan 03, 2024 10:53 am

bowl wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 10:37 am
Yes, QCAD3.ini/config is kept to maintain specific user preferences during an update or a refreshed new installation.
There is indeed a configuration file for each user on a multi user platform or a new one is created for 'another' user account.
( Note that your Pro license is personal … Different physical users would need to purchase their own license … :roll: )

If issues persist concerning these stored preferences, settings or persistent tool options one can reset the QCAD configuration:
https://www.ribbonsoft.com/en/tutorial- ... figuration
In essence delete or renaming the QCAD3.ini/config file. :wink:
bowl wrote:
just hoping this doesn't happen frequently
Not to my knowledge. :wink: It is considered as a last resort.

Regards,
CVH

petevick
Premier Member

Post by petevick » Wed Jan 03, 2024 8:23 pm

bowl wrote:
Guys,

I figured it out. Sorry for the quick post.

Maybe this helps someone in the future:
with the realization that the issue was persistent to re-installation but user specific i dug into my user folder and under user->AppData->Roaming->QCAD i deleted the file with the user settings (presumably this file was not removed when un-installing either). This fixed the issue. The program opened normally and i had to adjust my personal settings again, so no biggie, just hoping this doesn't happen frequently :)

Thanks to all!
Peace
Whilst you have your configuration as you want it, make a copy of the QCAD3.ini file, just in case it should happen again. :wink:
Pete Vickerstaff
Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon, Qcad Pro 3.29.6

Return to “QCAD Troubleshooting and Problems”