Editing Blocks with a similar name

If you are having problems with QCAD, post here. Please report bugs through our Bug Tracker instead.

Always attach your original DXF or DWG file and mentions your QCAD version and the platform you are on.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

Richard2952
Newbie Member

Editing Blocks with a similar name

Post by Richard2952 » Mon May 06, 2024 12:46 pm

Windows 11 Home. Version 10.0.22621. Type x64- based PC
Qcad version 3.29.6.0

Hello,
I am having difficulty editing a block. You will see I have two blocks; one called 'side sole bar inside view' and one called 'side sole bar outside view'.
Whenever I try to edit either of the blocks it automatically edits the other block that is not open!!
If you, for instance, just change the colour of a section of the 'side sole bar inside view' and save the change when you open the other block 'side sole bar outside view' you will see that this block has now been altered to match the other.
Because the two views are different I am trying without success to show that some lines are hidden in one view and not hidden in a different view.

Kind regards
Richard
Attachments
Screenshot Timber Base Frame etc..png
Screenshot Timber Base Frame etc..png (344.86 KiB) Viewed 876 times
Timber Base and flooring.dxf
(1.22 MiB) Downloaded 26 times

CVH
Premier Member

Re: Editing Blocks with a similar name

Post by CVH » Mon May 06, 2024 1:44 pm

Hi,

Block 'side sole bar outside view' consist of 2 entities.
- A Line (At the center)
- A Block Reference referring to 'side sole bar inside view'

And then it is obvious that when you change the latter (inside) it is also updated for its usage in the first (outside).

Solution:
Edit Block 'side sole bar outside view' and explode the content to individual entities.

I can not replicate 'opening the other block' in edit mode.
There are a few different ways to do that:
- Select the Block in the Block List and click the 'Edit Content of Selected Block (BE)' button ...
... Or its counterpart in the Block menu, on the Block toolbar or by its keyboard shortcut.
- Double click on a Block name in the Block List.
- Double click on the Block Reference in the Model ...
... By preference but it can also mean 'Edit Block in place (BB)', see: App.Prefs. .. Graphcs View .. Behavior
- Right click on the Block Reference in the Model and choose 'Edit Block (BE)' ... The lowest occurrence ...
... Remark here: There may be an entry in the context menu like 'Block > Edit Block (BE)' and that will open the selected Block in the Block List.
- Menu Block .. Edit Block from Reference (BD) and then indicating the block in question ...
... Or by its toolbar button or by its keyboard shortcut.

Simply BE will not necessarily open the selected Block Reference for editing, it will open the selected Block in the Block List.

If unsolved then please explain how you start editing the Block.

Regards,
CVH

Richard2952
Newbie Member

Post by Richard2952 » Mon May 06, 2024 3:24 pm

Hi,
Many thanks CVH.
Exploding appears to have fixed the issue.
How did you see that my outside view consisted of 2 entities??
Also I do not understand your paragraph beginning " I cannot replicate..........etc".
Maybe it is too technical and I don't have to understand it.

Thanks once again.
Richard

CVH
Premier Member

Post by CVH » Mon May 06, 2024 3:55 pm

Richard2952 wrote:
Mon May 06, 2024 12:46 pm
Whenever I try to edit either of the blocks it automatically edits the other block that is not open!!
That is not a two way process, Blocks may not be recursive.
- If A includes a copy of B then editing B will influence A but editing A will not influence B.
- When choosing to edit A it can't really be the other block B that is displayed to be edited ...
... Unless the other was still selected in the Block List and you opted for/typed the shortcut 'BE'.

But it may just have been that you were not able to distinguish what Block was in Edit mode. :wink:
Richard2952 wrote:
Mon May 06, 2024 3:24 pm
How did you see that my outside view consisted of 2 entities??
For the copy attached to your original post:
Double click on Block name 'side sole bar outside view' in the Block List.
Select All (TA) and look at your Property Editor ... Selected = 2.
Pull down the drop down and it summarizes what type of entities.
Then it was merely the question what Block was referred to by the Block Reference ...
... And that was the other one of the similar two :wink: .

Regards,
CVH

Return to “QCAD Troubleshooting and Problems”